Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Please don't lace my food

I read every label of every food I buy off the shelf and I am often shocked at what I find. The other week I desperately wanted bread late into the evening (long story) and was right by a 7-11. I was happy to find whole wheat bread but it contained high-fructose corn syrup. Why? Why add sugar to a loaf of bread that someone assumes would not have sugar? This is a problem we have in all packaged foods. Someone expect it to be one thing and yet it is another. There are basic goods that we should be able to buy and ASSUME contains what we think they will contain. Bread, for instance, is water, yeast and flour. Grape juice is the liquid squeezed from a grape. It probably wouldn't surprise anyone to find a few additives -- something allows that bread and juice to sit on a shelf for 3 months when yours goes bad that week. But these additions of ingredients that have no place in a product and are not announced (like if it said sweetened wheat bread, that's a different story) are found all over the place. Pay attention and you'll be very surprised. So my request for all you food companies out there is simply this: please stop lacing my food.

No comments:

Post a Comment