Monday, June 15, 2009

Spiritual gardening

I noticed some activity on my rooftop garden this weekend. Right now I have two types of tomato plants, hot peppers, sweet peppers, two lettuces, rosemary, basil, peppermint and parsley. One of the tomato plants is starting to show itty bitty little green tomatoes and the sweet pepper plant has decent size green peppers hanging (these should turn red). I was shockingly excited to find this and it reminded me that there's something special about growing your own food. Next year will be cheaper because I have the pots and I'll buy seeds instead of seedlings (except perhaps for the tomotoes) but even then -- the time and work to water them, move them around, etc. is fairly high. But there's something there beyond the cost/benefit. I almost want to say it's spiritual. But while I can't quite put my finger on it I can say there's a therapeutic element to working with your hands, gardening and growing your own food the way someone might outside of a big city -- the way humans have and still do all over the world -- and a certain excitement to eating the fruits of that labor. Soon I'll taste homegrown tomatoes -- scratch that -- MY homegrown tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment