Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Amazing grass fed burgers on Chicago's northside

I've been bad about posting lately. Thanks to those who haven't given up on this blog and continue to check it. I do have a lot of new thoughts on some issues I just need to get them down in writing.

For now I wanted to mention a great new place I went to last night called DMK Burger Bar. It's owned by Michael Kornick of MK and David Morton of Pompei. I happened to go on its opening night due to a helpful hint from a "friend" and I have to report it was great. As the name suggests, it is essentially entirely a burger joint. But it's no ordinary burger. All of the beef is grass fed (there are about 9 different beef burgers but a few aren't available yet). Then there's turkey burgers, lamb burgers, etc. All from entirely naturally raised turkey, lamb, and perhaps something else on four legs I'm forgetting. They also have homemade veggie burgers that are self-proclaimed as the best in the city (I have yet to try them but plan to soon and will report). All of the cheese is "artisan" according to the menu -- which to me would mean that it's not from large food companies and likely as minimally processed as possible. No word on the eggs you can (and I did) add to any burger, but with their approach to other food I'd find it hard to imagine they just buy eggs from any old supplier. They also have about 5 kinds of fries (we had the amazing sweet potato ones).

While I didn't get a chance to try any of the mixed drinks, I was incredibly impressed that they used local products whenever possible. Half the specialty mixed drinks on the menu used one liquor from North Shore Distillery, which is a local Chicago distillery that makes a few hand crafted, small-batch spirits. Their products are certainly more expensive then your traditional large-batch premium stuff yet DMK's prices don't really reflect that. Can't wait to try some of them. (Last night the nice size and pretty good selection beer list had my eyes).

I also want to just discuss the prices for a second. They are incredibly reasonable: $8 for any burger that might come with natural bacon, artisan cheddar cheese, homemade sauce, etc. This at a sit down restaurant in a fairly expensive area. So how can they do it? It seems clear that grass fed meat does not need to be reserved for the affluent who shop at Whole Foods or have the leisure time to wander through farmers markets often reserved for areas like Lincoln Park or Andersonville. Instead, DMK is showing that grass fed meat can taste amazing (many out there still wonder) and that it can be affordable. I was thoroughly impressed and I went on a hectic night when they were still figuring things out.

Oh, and my "friend" had a salad (there's only one meal sized salad) filled with fennel, hearts of palm, and other goodies.

I'll be back VERY soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment